Marc and Angel have been a great source of positive inspiration for me. Here they remind us that sometimes the focus should be not so much on doing the “right things” but more stop doing the “wrong things” and you may find your perspective changes completely.
So here’s a short, TO-DON’T list for the rest of 2014 – 5 things to STOP doing to yourself:
1. Stop holding grudges. – Don’t live your life with hate in your heart. You will end up hurting yourself more than the people you hate. Forgiveness is not saying, “What you did to me is okay.” It is saying, “I’m not going to let what you did to me ruin my happiness forever.” Forgiveness is the answer… let go, find peace, liberate yourself! And remember, forgiveness is not just for other people, it’s for you too. If you must, forgive yourself, move on and try to do better next time.
2. Stop berating yourself for old mistakes. – We may love the wrong person and cry about the wrong things, but no matter how things go wrong, one thing is for sure, mistakes help us find the person and things that are right for us. We all make mistakes, have struggles, and even regret things in our past. But you are not your mistakes, you are not your struggles, and you are here NOW with the power to shape your day and your future. Every single thing that has ever happened in your life is preparing you for a moment that is yet to come.
3. Stop spending time with the wrongpeople. – Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you. If someone wants you in their life, they’ll make room for you. You shouldn’t have to fight for a spot. Never, ever insist yourself to someone who continuously overlooks your worth. And remember, it’s not the people that stand by your side when you’re at your best, but the ones who stand beside you when you’re at your worst that are your true friends.
4. Stop trying to be someone you’re not. – One of the greatest challenges in life is being yourself in a world that’s trying to make you like everyone else. Someone will always be prettier, someone will always be smarter, someone will always be younger, but they will never be you. Don’t change so people will like you. Be yourself and the right people will love the real you.
5. Stop being ungrateful. – No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs. Instead of thinking about what you’re missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.
And of course, if you’re strugglingwith any of these points, know that you are not alone. Many of us are right there with you, working hard to feel better, think more clearly, and keep our lives on track.
I found # 4 particularly profound, reading it today. One of the greatest challenges in life is being yourself in a world that’s trying to make you like everyone else. Someone will always be prettier, someone will always be smarter, someone will always be younger, but they will never be you. Don’t change so people will like you. Be yourself and the right people will love the real you.
Here is an example of someone who started to change her thinking:
Up in tell this new year my life has been really good nothing bad ever happening .But when 2014 set in My life changed , Everything has gone at a down hill slide fast. With the loss of a husband that moved out and wants everything . Friends turning on me for not doing what they say I must do to stay friends. To My children having marriage’s problems. Flat tires , dead battery’s, frozen pipes . Getting rolls of hay for the horses that are so big I cant even push off the trailor .With all this on my shoulders. I really thought I found the new meaning of being stressed out . Till today ! I was in the same room with a man as I was getting a new tire for my hay hauling trailer . Being over whelmed by all ( my) problems and thinking only of myself at the time I said . 2014 has really been a bad year for me , my life is falling apart. He looked at me and said .My life fell apart in 2013 . I said why do you say that ? He said I run over my 1 1/2 year old son and killed him !! I thought he was in the house with his mom. I had a truck like yours and you can’t see anything behind you. As he look so spaced out , He said I will never forgive myself. At that point I realized I didn’t have any problems. All I could think about is what he was going thru and how was he going to handle it. And I so wanted to help him. So count your blessings, kiss your kids, Cause your life could always be worst. I hope his heart heals in time….
Something to ponder about.