Recently I have been wondering about how the modern Western diet can be extremely acidic and what implications this has for our bodies?
Our bodies try to maintain a natural acid and alkaline balance. If it doesn’t, our body would not function. This is true, as I once was called on to resuscitate an elderly citizen who had suffered a heart attack, due to prolonged acidosis.
However, our incredibly complex bodies have a variety of back up plans in order to maintain our pH balance.
In the presence of a lot of acidic foods, the body will:
- Use up all the available alkaline reserves in the body.
- he body will attempt to eliminate excess acids from your blood.
- Acid will be stored in your body’s fat cells. This then has implications for anyone attempting weight loss. Why? Because the body reacts to avoid the influx of acid that might be released during sudden weight loss. An acidic body holds onto excess weight, making dieting extremely difficult. Explains a lot, doesn’t it?
Your body finds an alkalinising agent, such as calcium. It will try to redress the pH imbalance by leaching calcium from your bones, which can be a contributing factor to osteoporosis.
Common symptoms of Acidosis or high levels of Acid*
NB these symptoms can also indicate another medical condition so always see your Doctor or health professional for further investigation
- fatigue, and chronic fatigue syndrome
- fatigue or weakness after eating meals
- frequent colds, low immunity
- poor circulation (cold hands/feet)
- low blood pressure
- burning sensation during urination
- kidney stones
- Gastro intestinal issues such as stomach cramps, reflux, diarrhoea, ulcers
- agitation, nervousness anxiety, depression
- lack of joy
- lack of ambition
- dental problems, bleeding or inflamed gums, cavities,cracked lips, loose teeth,
- muscle cramps and spasm,
- tension in neck and shoulders
- joint pain, (arthritis like)
- nail and hair problems
- vaginal discharge (candida)
- tendency to insomnia, restless sleep
- tendency to itchy skin, acne
- tendency to allergies, runny nose, chronic bronchitis
How Acidic is your diet? Find more info here
This post is not meant as a health guide, just sharing information, and giving us Something to Ponder About