You may have heard me espousing the benefits of almonds and walnuts in recipes such as salads, or the Almond and Walnut Muffin recipe, I have previously posted, but what about the benefits of incorporating cinnamon in our diet?
I have to confess to being quite a fan of the cinnamon, especially in the crumble toppings you might find on a apple rhubarb dessert or a gourmet muffin. Combining cinnamon with almonds and walnuts, which are a fantastic source of Vitamin E and Magnesium, was a way of creating a light, and more importantly, HEALTHY cake recipe that if cut into bite-sized servings, is only a teeny bit decadent. Altogether a Perfect combination for a healthy morning or afternoon tea. Find the Recipe below.
What are the Health Benefits of Cinnamon?
Cinnamon is astonishingly good for you. Would you believe that a mere teaspoon of cinnamon contains 28 mg of calcium, almost one mg of iron, over a gram of fiber, and quite a lot of vitamins C, K, and manganese?
In traditional medicine, cinnamon has been used for its mild anti-inflammatory effects, and to treat digestive ailments such as indigestion, gas and bloating, and diarrhea. As little as half a teaspoon of cinnamon a day has been shown to increase insulin sensitivity and blood glucose control. Improving insulin tolerance can help in weight control as well as decreasing the risk for heart disease. Read More here.
Cinnamon Nut Streusel Cake
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup (55grams) soft Butter
- 1/2 Cups Milk
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoon Flour
- 2 Teaspoons (or more), of Cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons soft Butter
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts – I used a combination of walnuts and flaked almonds
- Preheat Oven 175 ° C and Grease or line a 9″ x 12″ or 20 x 30 cm slice tray
- Cream butter and sugar in mixer
- Add remaining base ingredients and mix well
- Spread out evenly in the tray.
- Mix Streusel topping ingredients together
- Spread about 1/4 of the Streusel topping onto the base layer and lightly swirl through with a skewer or knife.
- Spread the rest of the Streusel topping thinly over the top of the base.
- Bake for 20 – 35 minutes or till cooked through, when pierced with a skewer
- Allow Cake to cool and cut into small squares to serve.
Something healthy and delicious to savour about