I blogged earlier about the benefits of magnesium rich foods, and broccoli and spinach are great sources of magnesium. Broccoli soup is an easy and delicious way to eat much more broccoli than one can eat as a humble steamed vegetable.
- 500 g broccoli (diced stalks and sprigs)
- Several large spinach leaves, chopped roughly (or silverbeet or rainbow chard)
- 1 onion, diced
- Several celery stalks,sliced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup cream, (if you want cream of broccoli soup)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- pepper and salt to taste
- Lemon slices as garnish
- Saute the onion and celery in a pan til the onion turns transparent.
- Wash broccoli and cut into sprigs and add broccoli, chopped Spinach, chicken stock and onion/ celery mix to a large saucepan.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 10- 15 minutes til broccoli is soft.
Then either A or B below:
A. If wanting to make cream of broccoli soup, process using hand blender or vitamizer-blender till smooth. Add cream and return to saucepan heating through whilst adding seasoning and lemon juice. Garnish and serve
B. Gently blend or stir til broccoli breaks up into small sprigs. Add seasonings and lemon juice. Garnish and serve.
A nice accompaniment to Broccoli and Spinach soup would be almond or walnut bread.
Delicious to ponder about, even better to taste.